Now that we have two children (2 yrs. & 4 mo.) I am finding it harder to find time during the daylight hours to get my training runs in. With winter just a month or two away, daylight is a precious commodity.
I find most of my runs are starting after 8pm now which usually results in flabergasted looks from those I tell. Especially when that run starts after 10pm.
I thought I would take a moment to reflect on what I do and don’t like about night time running. The picture above is the path I ran tonight.
What I Love About Night Running
- Night running is so much quieter, even in town.
- Other senses are heightened so you can experience more of your surroundings.
- Nothing looks dirty when you run with little to no light.
- It’s a real adrenaline rush to run regular speed with little to no sight of your next step.
- Lots of strange things occur at night you wouldn’t otherwise witness. (This can be bad too)
- I get to spend more waking hours with my family.
- Its usually cooler, though Fall and Winter that’s not desirable.
- Less traffic to deal with.
So there’s my unofficial list of reasons why I like running at night. I’m sure there are more and there are lots of reasons that make it bad, but I’d just like to focus on the positive.