I installed Service Pack 2 on our SharePoint 2010 Foundation production farm last night and everything went as expected. The test scripts all passed which was awesome. I then proceeded to fix a few minor issues. One was an orphaned record alert in the Health Analyzer which we get from time to time and using the auto fix option within the alert has always fixed that issue which it did. I then proceeded to increase the page file size which I believe is the trigger that caused us to get the below error when I ran our test scripts and search had stopped working.
The search request was unable to connect to the Search Service.
Anytime search stops working in Foundation it’s a little freaky and I usually run to our DBA’s to make sure our DB permissions haven’t changed, but I decided to hold off and just got a hunch to do the following.
- Go to Central Administration > Upgrade and Migration > Review database status
- Ensure no databases require upgrade (Status should indicate “No action required”)
- Click on a content database
- Verify the correct search server is selected in the drop down
- Click Ok
- Repeat for all content databases
This resolved my search issue. It was as though the system lost it’s setting to identify which search server to use for the content database.
Disaster averted. Hopefully if anyone else experiences this issue this will help.