It’s Toy Review Tuesday again and this week I’m reviewing the Marvel Select Venom figure. I’m not the biggest fan of Spider-man, but I sure do like Venom. This figure is totally bonkers. It comes with amazing accessories that just makes Venom a sick addition to my collection and yours too.
- Character: Venom
- Manufacturer: Diamond Select Toys
- Series: Marvel Select
- Dimensions: 8“
- Weight: 1.2 lbs (w/packaging)
- Recommended: Ages 14+
- MSRP: $24.95 | Paid: $24.95
- Part Number/SKU: AUG121762
Articulation – ★★★★☆
The articulation on the Venom figure is quite good. There are a fair number of POA’s, not including the few that are on the accessory arms and heads.
Total POA’s = 21
- Arms – There are 4 POA’s on each of Venom’s arms. The best part about the POA’s on his arms is they blend very well with the mold of the figure so you don’t notice they are there, which is a double bonus since the articulation is great.
- Shoulders: Ball Joint with full 360 rotation capability as well as outward motion.
- Upper Arm: Peg joint allows for full 360 degree rotation.
- Elbows: Pin/Hinge joints allow for about 90 degrees of motion. Joint grooves allows for the joints to remain in place.
- Wrist: Peg Joint allows for 360 degree twist of the hand as well as removal of both hands to allow for other hands to be installed.
- Legs – There are 5 joints in each leg/hip/ankle area. The number of joints in the legs is critical to be able to get Venom to stand on his own. He is a very top heavy figure without the multi-head accessory, then when that is added, it makes it very hard to balance him.
- Hips: Peg Joint as well as a Pin/Hinge joint. The combination of these two joints in each hip is huge. the allow for great lifelike poses, as well as balance that this figure needs to badly
- Thighs: Peg joint allows for full 360 degree rotation.
- Knees: Pin/Hinge Joints with about 100 degree bend ability. This joint has locking grooves.
- Ankles: Pin/Hinge Joints that allow for about 30 degrees of rotation of the foot forward and back.
- Body: There are no 2 joints in the torso.
- Chest: Pin joint allows for limited ab crunches
- Hips: Peg Joint allows for full 360 degree rotation
- Head: Ball Joint allows for full 360 degree motion as well as the ability to remove the head to replace with accessory heads.
Mold – ★★★★★
The mold on this figure is awesome! As I noted in the articulation section, the mold work done on this figure does a wonderful job of masking the joints. I would say the most detailed work was done on the faces, which there are many that come with the Venom figure.
The only molding issue I’ve seen thus far is the hip swivel does cause a bit of a ridge when you twist Venom’s body. This is a pretty common thing and it’s not even that noticeable. The other issue, which is caused by the mold, but simply isn’t that big of a deal is the fact the figure is very top heavy which can cause difficulty in getting Venom to stand on his own. The key here, though, is that you can get him to stand on his own, you just need to do a little extra positioning to ensure he’s steady.
Even with those couple issues, I still cannot really warrant taking away a star. This figure is just so cool.
Paint – ★★★★☆
Venom is black and white, but not this figure. He’s got some blue highlights mixed in with the black that really makes this figure pop. Add in the awesome white spider on his chest and you’ve got the foundation of a great paint job. Now, where this figure jumps out ahead of many of the other figures is in the paint details on the many faces of this figure. The detailed paint job is amazing. They used a high quality paint and the application was stellar with few, if any paint bleed or chipping.
Accessories – ★★★★★
If I haven’t already convinced you that you must get this figure, then the accessories should. Venom comes with a slew of extra goodies that just makes this a great addition to any collection. Here’s what he comes with.
- Symbiote back attachment with 6 heads (4 articulated) and 2 arms with 3 POA’s per arm. Hands are interchangeable with all other hands included.
- Symbiote head – Grinning
- Symbiote head – Tongue sticking out
- Symbiote head – Eddie Brock/Symbiote
- Set of forearms – With open hands
- Set of Fists
As you can see, there are a lot of accessories. All of which provide a huge number of options for changing the look of your Venom figure. You can give him a different look every day of the week and still have a few more options after that.
The only thing that would have been helpful would have been a stand of some sort since Venom is so heavy, but with all the other accessories, just go buy one and you’ll be fine.
Packaging – ★★★☆☆
Venom comes in the standard Marvel Select blister packaging with the information card backing. I’m not a huge fan of this packaging as you must tear the plastic from the cardboard which can cause a lot of damage to the cardboard.
Overall Rating – ★★★★☆
Overall, I gave Venom 4 of 5 stars. I had to drop the star for the overall figure because of the difficulty in getting him to stand. Yes, I didn’t take the star away on the mold because of it, but it is a detractor. I don’t know that you could do much about it, so it may be unfair of me to do so, but I felt I needed to. Even with the loss of the star, I would definitely recommend you get this figure. He’ll look sick on anybodies shelf.
Do you have any of these figures? If so, do you have a review to share? Please share in the comments or link to your review.