This month I’m reviewing the Marvel Legends Infinite Series Guardians of the Galaxy Drax the Destroyer. In my quest to get the Groot figure, it was inevitable that I’d have to pick this figure up. I kept putting it off because the figure was so much more expensive than the others. Finally i saw it on eBay for what i would consider a decent price. Let’s see just how bad or good this figure really is.
- Star-Lord (Left Arm)
- Iron Man (Right Leg)
- Nova (Right Arm)
- Rocket Raccoon (Head/Chest)
- Gamora (Left Leg)
- Drax (Lower Torso/Hips)
- Character: Nova
- Manufacturer: Hasbro
- Series: Infinite Series
- Dimensions: 6“
- Weight: 6.4 oz
- Recommended: Ages 6+
- MSRP: $19.95 Paid: $27.95 (This one’s harder to find)
- Part Number/SKU: A7907000
- Buy it on Amazon
Articulation – ★★★★☆
I really quite happy with the articulation on this figure. Overall, the articulation of Drax is pretty solid. I don’t have a whole lot to complain about. Let’s take a closer look at his articulation.
Total POA’s = 30
- Arms – There are 7 joints per arm.
- Shoulders: Ball joint with a Pin/Hinge joint allows for a wide range of motion of the shoulder. The joints fit quite well into his shoulder sockets as well which is great.
- Bicep: Peg Joint allows for full 360 rotation. This joint is molded well to look fairly natural.
- Elbow: Double Pin/Hinge joint allows for a decent amount of bend in the elbow. Since Drax is a bulkier guy, his arms can’t bend nearly as far as Spider-Man can. This is expected, however, so I’m not concerned about it. He can still pose his arms and look natural doing it.
- Wrist: Peg Joint as well as a Pin/Hinge joint in the wrist. They did a great job with the mold of the forearm and wrist so you get a really wide range of motion out of these joints.
- Legs – There are 6 joints in each leg/hip/ankle area.
- Hips: Ball Joint allows for a decent amount of forward motion, though backward motion is somewhat limited. Not too bad, but it’s not what I’d like. The outward motion is quite good, however. One issue I have, and this may strictly be my figure, the hip joints are a little loose and there is no ratcheting in them. Thus, getting Drax to hold his pose can be a little harder than with some other figures. In the end, this isn’t too bad, I simply see this as a potential future issue, should I over use the figure and he gets looser.
- Thigh: Peg Joint allows for a large amount of rotation. This is a standard cut joint, but because of the thigh shape being fairly uniform throughout, you’re not going to notice much for flat spots when you twist it.
- Knees: Double Pin/Hinge joints in the knees allows Drax to get into a fair number of action poses. He is still a little bulky for the joints, so you’re not going to get him into any Spider-Man poses, but you wouldn’t want to do that anyway. There is a slight ratchet to these joints which is very helpful.
- Ankles: Each ankle has 2 joints. Pin/Hinge Joints that allow for a wide range of forward/backward rotation of the ankle. There is also a rocker joint of some type in the ankle which is great for action poses.
- Body – There are 2 joints in the body area
- Abs: Hinge Joint allows for a huge amount of forward chest/ab crunch which is so awesome. Backwards motion is limited to about 1 click back which is a little disappointing, but, since Drax doesn’t fly, it may not be a big deal.
- Hips: Peg Joint in the waist allows for full rotation of the upper body.
- Head: There are 2 joints in the head/neck area
- Pin/Hinge joint allows for a really good amount of forward/backward tilt of the head. Drax is able to look way up into the air compared to a lot of other figures and he can look nearly straight down which is the most I’ve seen on any of my figures thus far.
- Ball Joint which doesn’t give nearly as much tilt as I’d like. This isn’t a huge concern considering the amount of forward/backward motion the Pin/Hinge joint provides, but when Drax is looking straight ahead, it’d be nice to be able to cock his head left or right a bit.
Mold – ★★★★☆
Hasbro did a solid job on this figure. He looks very similar to Dave Bautista from the movie. Obviously, it’s not 100% accurate, but it’s pretty darn close. Starting with the Head, like I said, they got Dave’s likeness quite close on this figure. I really like the molded tattoos. The mold work was great for his upper body torso and arms, though the on thing I don’t like is where the hand meets the forearm. If you turn his hand just right, you get a bit of an odd joint. It’s not a big deal, but it can look a little odd to me. Otherwise the upper body is really well done.
The legs are even stronger than the upper body in terms of mold detail. Drax’ pants have some great detail work as do his boots. I especially like the sheathes on each leg.
Paint – ★★★☆☆
Paint was the weakest aspect of this figure. It’s not that it’s not good. I do like the paint work, but it just could have been a little better. The upper body is green. No shading or anything. I like the paint work they did for the tattoos, but I would have liked to see more than just the single green color.
Same with his pants. A little extra detail in the pants would have gone a long way.
The other issue I’m noticing is there is some paint bleed in the pants and boots. Not to mention, there was no detail paint done on his boots. So the buckles etc are all black. If they had added just a little paint to those then his boots really would have popped. Not a horrible thing, but enough to drop this figure 2 stars in terms of paint.
Accessories – ★★★★☆
Drax comes with the two daggers he had in the movie. They are molded really well and fit in his hands really well. Probably the best fit of the entire series in terms of weapons. I even like the paint on these as there is a little dry brush work with some black which gives these little daggers a good amount of character.
Packaging – ★★★★☆
As noted before, I really like the Marvel Legends packaging. There isn’t much more to say here.
Overall Rating – ★★★★☆
I couldn’t give Drax 5 stars namely because of the paint issues I had, but beyond that, this is a really awesome figure. Articulation alone he is one of the better figures I’ve got. I’ll be using him in so many different poses. I highly recommend buying this figure. Even if you’re not a huge Guardians of the Galaxy or Drax fan. This is a solid figure from Hasbro that you’ll be happy with.
Do you have any of these figures? If so, do you have a review to share? Please share in the comments or link to your review.