Today’s review is the Marvel Legends Infinite Series Captain America The Winter Soldier Agents of Hydra – Hydra Soldier. This was one of the many figures I’ve been wanting for quite some time. I’d love to build myself an army of these guys so if any of you have some of these loose you’d like to sell me, post a comment and I’ll contact you (if I have money at the time of course).
Figures in the Series
- Mandroid (Build-A-Figure)
- WW2 Captain America
- Marvel Now! Captain America (Head)
- Agents of Hydra – Hydra Soldier (Left Arm)
- Agents of Hydra – Red Skull (Left Arm)
- Soldiers of A.I.M. – A.I.M. Soldier (Right Arm)
- Soldiers of A.I.M. – Baron Zemo (Right Arm)
- Black Widow (Torso)
- Captain America (Left Leg)
- Winter Soldier (Right Leg)
- Character: Agents of Hydra – Hydra Soldier
- Manufacturer: Hasbro
- Series: Captain America The Winter Soldier
- Dimensions: 6.125“
- Recommended: Ages 4+
- MSRP: $19.95 Paid: $17.18
- Part Number/SKU: 653569949923
- Buy it on Amazon
Articulation – ★★★★★
Dope! That’s how I have to describe the articulation of this figure. I’m not one to use that word, as I’m not a “Hip” person by any stretch of the definition, but if I were, I’d definitely say this figure is dope. As far as I understand it, this figure is pretty much using most of the Bucky Cap figure mold, which seems to be a pretty widely liked mold because of it’s relatively natural look and awesome articulation. Let’s get into it in a little more detail.
Total POA’s = 32
- Arms – There are 7 joints per arm.
- Shoulders: Ball Joint as well as a Pin/Hinge Joint which has an okay range of motion upward and his arms comfortably come down as well compared to some molds that limit how close you can get the arms to the body.
- Bicep: Peg Joint allows for full 360 degree range of motion
- Elbow: Double Pin/Hinge joint which gives a really good range of motion in the elbows. You can’t completely fold his arms, but it’s still quite good.
- Wrist: Peg Joint as well as a Pin/Hinge joint. This has a pretty standard amount of motion both up and down and all the way around.
- Legs – There are 7 joints in each leg/hip/ankle area.
- Hips: T-Jointed Ball Joint allows for a lot of forward kick, not a lot of backward, however. I also wish he could have gotten a little more outward motion with those hips, but alas, we cannot get everything we want.
- Thigh: Peg Joint with standard cut joint.
- Knees: Double Pin/Hinge joints gives a really good bend, but you’re at about 110 degrees, but that’s still really good.
- Ankles: Each ankle has 2 joints. Pin/Hinge Joints that allow for decent backward motion and finally, a figure with good forward motion as well. There is also a really good ankle rocker, which just completes this figure.
- Body – There are 2 torso joint.
- Torso: This is a Pin/Hinge joint which provides a really good ab crunch and pretty good backward motion.
- Waist: Standard Peg Joint allows for a pretty good waist swivel and the joint is well hidden by the utility belt.
- Head: A single Ball Joint and Pin/Hinge joint. This head is by far one of more posable I’ve seen in all of my figures. Both back and down there is a really good amount of motion and side-to-side is not hindered at all. There’s not much tilt, but you can use that hinge joint to get the same effect for some poses.
Mold – ★★★★☆
As I mentioned earlier, a lot of people really like the mold this figure is built on. I do as well. The articulation alone makes it great. There’s also a lot of sculpt detail, but my favorite part about him is his face. I really think they sculpted the head really well. There could have been a little more detail on his boots, but that’s ok.
His utility belt and harness also have a great sculpt with lots of fun little details. I like that it’s a softer plastic/rubber for the harness so you could reshape it a little with some heat if it didn’t come out of the package just perfect.
My biggest issue is with his left hand. It’s a gripper hand which is fine, except it’s a bit too tight for the weapons he comes with, so it’s a little tough to get him to hold and support his gun in a natural looking way without potentially breaking it. So be careful here.
Paint – ★★★☆☆
There really isn’t much for paint on this guy. Overall, he’s molded in green and yellow and there’s not really any shading anywhere. It doesn’t look bad by any means, but a little shading in the yellow and perhaps a little black wash in the green might have helped a bit. The little bit of paint that is there is on his face and they did a good clean job here with the red eye which I really like and the unmasked portion of his face.
I almost forgot to mention a nice bit of paint work is the H for Hydra on the chest harness. They did a really good, clean job of this paint app.
Accessories – ★★★☆☆
The Hydra soldier comes with two giant guns. One of which is the same gun we get with The Winter Solider figure in this series and the other seems to be a newly molded gun for this figure. I prefer the latter gun as it is a much more unique gun and not quite so long. The longer gun seems scaled wrong for this figure. The coolest part about the shorter gun is the hydra painted on the top, that is really cool.
What is sorely missing with this figure is an extra set of hands. I would have loved some closed fists for some fight poses. Perhaps a left trigger finger would have been cool too.
One last thing that would have been cool would have been an unmasked alternate head. I know you’re not likely to see that, but how cool would it be to have an army of Hydra soldiers you can pose and a couple are on break with their masks off?
Packaging – ★★★★☆
Standard Marvel Legends Infinite Series packaging which is great. This is a shared box design with the Red Skull figure as they both come with the same BAF part, but they are SKU’d differently.
Overall Rating – ★★★★☆
I love this figure! He’s a great addition to my collection and a must have. He’s pretty spendy on his own, but you might be able to buy the whole wave for around retail from Big Bad Toy Store still so go check them out.
Do you have any of these figures? If so, do you have a review to share? Please share in the comments or link to your review.