Today’s review is the Marvel Legends Infinite Series Captain America The Winter Soldier Movie Winter Soldier. I hadn’t seen the movie when I bought this figure, and I hadn’t read any of the comics related to The Winter Soldier or Bucky Barnes, so I bought it primarily because I knew I’d need it to complete the series. In the end, on it’s own, this is a pretty good figure.
Figures in the Series
- Mandroid (Build-A-Figure)
- WW2 Captain America
- Marvel Now! Captain America (Head)
- Agents of Hydra – Hydra Soldier (Left Arm)
- Agents of Hydra – Red Skull (Left Arm)
- Soldiers of A.I.M. – A.I.M. Soldier (Right Arm)
- Soldiers of A.I.M. – Baron Zemo (Right Arm)
- Black Widow (Torso)
- Captain America (Left Leg)
- Winter Soldier (Right Leg)
- Character: Winter Soldier
- Manufacturer: Hasbro
- Series: Captain America The Winter Soldier
- Dimensions: 6“
- Recommended: Ages 4+
- MSRP: $19.95 Paid: $15.95
- Part Number/SKU: 653569968948
- Buy it on Amazon
Articulation – ★★★★☆
Total POA’s = 30
- Arms – There are 7 joints per arm.
- Shoulders: Ball Joint as well as a Pin/Hinge Joint. The should is able to raise higher than the shoulder which is really good.
- Bicep: Peg Joint with full 360 rotation. Well hidden.
- Elbow: Doulbe Pin/Hinge joint allows for a pretty good bend, but it’s not able to bend completely in half which would be nice, but not horrible that it’s not there.
- Wrist: Peg Joint and a Pin/Hinge joint, both wrist hinge joints are limited considerably due to the sculpt of the forearm.
- Legs – There are 6 joints in each leg/hip/ankle area.
- Hips: T-Jointed Ball Joint gives a good forward and backward motion and considerably good outward motion as well.
- Thigh: Peg Joint, a standard cut joint. This joint, like many other figures with similar legs can be a little awkward looking depending on how the mold of the two leg pieces meets. Not a huge issue though.
- Knees: Double Pin/Hinge joints in the knees allows a really good bend in the knees but due to the calf you’re not going to bend those knees all the way in half. The lower left knee joint on my figure is quite loose.
- Ankles: Each ankle has 2 joints. Pin/Hinge Joints that allow for decent backward motion but the forward motion pretty poor. The ankle rocker is good.
- Body – There are 2 body/torso joints.
- Torso: Pin/Hinge joint with a really good ab crunch, but almost no backward motion.
- Waist: Standard Peg Joint allows for a full 360 degree ratcheted motion. The belt helps to cover any of the joint when it’s turned.
- Head: A single Ball Joint allows for decent forward motion of the head, but mine is really tight so it’s very hard to get it to move. The sculpt of the head prevents much if any backward motion though. Side-to-side motion is relatively unhindered by the hair. Tilt of the head is actually quite good considering the head sculpt.
Mold – ★★★★☆
There is a ton of detail work in the sculpt of this figure. There’s not a smooth surface anywhere which is really cool. Everything is really well done. The sad part is nobody seems to care much for this figure beyond it being a solid figure. Anyway, it is really well done. The only downside is the head sculpt causes the head articulation to be a little limited.
I do have a gripe with the belt/holster. There’s a little knife molded into the back portion, which is not removable, but it’s just way too small. The handle alone is about half the size his knife should be. Why bother even putting i on there?
Probably my favorite detail is the knee pads. I really think that was a nice touch, and covers what would have been an ugly joint.
Paint – ★★★★☆
The paint is good, but could have been absolutely awesome if they simply painted some of the really cool sculpt details they put in. The boots have absolutely no paint, but lots of sculpt detail. The pants have tons of detail sculpt work, and pretty much no paint. The upper body got a much better paint app as there is some paint detail in the chest and the arms are very well done.
The face is well painted on the unmasked head, but I’m not a huge fan of the black splotched face paint. I get that’s what he looks like in the movie, but it just looks like someone smeared it on.
Accessories – ★★★☆☆
This figure comes with two accessories. An alternate head and a rifle. I like the alternate head so we can have a masked and unmasked head for our figure, but the gun, which is used also by the Hydra Soldier is just way too big. I know in the movie he uses a rifle that is quite large, but this is just too big. I also had the red color they painted it. I would have preferred they simply paint it a more realistic gun metal color.
Packaging – ★★★★☆
Standard Marvel Legends Infinite Series packaging which is great.
Overall Rating – ★★★★☆
Overall, this figure is a solid figure. I’m not a big fan of the character, but the figure is a really good representation of the movie Winter Solider. If you’re looking for this figure, pretty much ever retail store should still have it. I think they made about a billion of them thinking everyone was going to goob over them, but people did not so you could probably get it pretty cheap. It’s not a must have, but not a bad one to get either.
Do you have any of these figures? If so, do you have a review to share? Please share in the comments or link to your review.