Today’s review is the Marvel Legends Infinite Series Target Exclusive 3-Pack Ultron. I was super excited when I first saw this 3-pack show up finally at my local Target. I just wasn’t willing to pay full price. Then I saw it for $25 and I still passed. When I saw it for $15 for the 3-pack I just couldn’t pass it up. I actually bought 2 of these 3-packs. Let’s take a look and see if this is a good set of figures.
Figures in the Series
- Marvel’s Vision
- Character: Ultron
- Manufacturer: Hasbro
- Series: Target Exclusive 3 – Pack
- Dimensions: 6.25“
- Recommended: Ages 4+
- MSRP: $49.95 Paid: $15.00 ($5 each figure)
- Part Number/SKU: 630509336203
- Buy it on Amazon
Articulation – ★★★★☆
All the articulation is there on this figure. It’s pretty good. There are issues, but I attribute those issues to something else. Let’s take a closer look.
Total POA’s = 30
- Arms – There are 7 joints per arm.
- Shoulders: Ball Joint as well as a Pin/Hinge Joint that is good, but not great. There are sculpt choices in which the little red nodes on the shoulders prevent the arms from rising up. This isn’t too bad though.
- Bicep: Peg Joint which works very well.
- Elbow: Double Pin/Hinge joints that provide a really good amount of bend in the elbow. Well over 90 degrees of bend.
- Wrist: Peg Joint as well as a Pin/Hinge joint. Both operate very well and were nice and tight.
- Legs – There are 6 joints in each leg/hip/ankle area.
- Hips: T-Jointed Ball Joint provides good forward kick, really bad backward motion and almost no outward motion. In the end, these are robots, so I don’t think we need a figure that can do the splits.
- Thigh: Peg Joint with a standard cut joint. Shortly after recording the short stop motion film you see below, I broke the right leg off right at this joint. The plastic is very brittle. This isn’t specifically an articulation issue, but try using a blow dryer or hot water before trying to move these joints.
- Knees: Double Pin/Hinge joints in the knees allows for a really good bend in the knee.
- Ankles: Each ankle has 2 joints. Pin/Hinge Joints that allow for good backward motion and nearly no forward motion. The ankle rocker is a nice addition as well.
- Body – There is 2 joints in the body area.
- Torso: Pin/Hinge joint that provides a really good ab crunch, but very little back arch.
- Waist: Peg Joint that allows for unhindered swivel.
- Head: A single Ball Joint and a Pin/Hinge disc that provides great up and down motion. Side-to-side motion is good. The tilt is somewhat limiting, but still allows for a good amount of motion.
Mold – ★★☆☆☆
There’s a reason there are less images in my slideshow above. I broke the right leg off of one of the Ultrons I got right after I finished the last frame of my short film. What a bummer. So I’m dropping the rating on this figure because they used such horribly brittle plastic on these figures. Looking online in some of the Facebook groups as well as Youtube videos reviewing these figures and you’ll see a consensus on this. This is likely why they were discounted so much because this figure alone was garbage for the sake of quality control.
Regarding the actual sculpt of this figure, I was super excited to get this figure into my collection. I bought two sets so I could have 2 Ultrons and then some day I’ll have the movie Ultron Prime to go with them. The sculpt is a repaint of the Ultimate Beetle from the Ultimate Green Goblin wave. My favorite part of the figure is the head sculpt. It is very much comic accurate in my opinion. I don’t like that the little fin things that poke out of the sides of the head are malformed a bit, but I assume with a little heat you could fix that.
Overall, this figure just loses stars because of the QA.
Paint – ★★★★☆
I like the paint application of this figure. I can’t tell if this figure was actually just cast in a metallic grey plastic or if it’s actually painted. Either way, it’s really slick looking. They did a really good job of painting the red nodes on the figure. That was done really clean. Even the face paint was very cleanly done.
Accessories – ★★★★☆
This figure comes with no accessories and I’m torn because it really doesn’t need any. Should I have taken away more stars? Can it really get any stars? Well, I’m giving it four stars because this was actually a decision to not give stars that really makes some sense to me.
Packaging – ★★★★☆
This is a version of the standard Marvel Legends packaging but enlarged to fit all 3 figures in the pack. I really like this packaging. If I were a MOC/MOB collector, I’d think this was a good box for display.
Overall Rating – ★★★☆☆
Overall, this figure should have been a 4, easily. The QA issues dropped it down. It had to get dropped. You need to know about the fragility of this figure before you go out and pay any money for this figure. If you’re buying it for your kids, it’s gonna break. There are a lot of folks out there that have managed to not break theirs though and they obviously have been careful. I’m hoping I can heat mine up that hasn’t yet broken and hopefully those joints will not break on me. It would have been a must have for any collection, and I still think so, but don’t play with it.
Do you have any of these figures? If so, do you have a review to share? Please share in the comments or link to your review.