Today’s review is the Marvel Legends Infinite Series The All Father Odin Series Sentry. I was excited to get this figure, not for the BAF parts, but because the Sentry is a great character in the Marvel Universe. In my opinion, he’s one of their better characters, and what’s better, they don’t overuse him.
Figures in the Series
- Odin (BAF)
- King Thor (BAF)
- Iron Fist (Left Leg)
- Sentry (Left Arm)
- Machine Man (Right Arm)
- Hawkeye (Torso)
- Thor (Right Leg)
- Scarlet Witch (Odin Head)
- Captain Marvel (King Thor Head)
- Character: Sentry
- Manufacturer: Hasbro
- Series: Odin All Father
- Dimensions: 6.875″
- Recommended: Ages 4+
- MSRP: $19.95 Paid: $12.32
- Part Number/SKU: 630509273898
- Buy it on Amazon
Articulation – ★★★★☆
My understanding is that the Sentry figure is based mostly on the Hyperion mold. I don’t have that figure so I can’t confirm this or deny it. As far as articulation goes, it’s quite good, for a medium built figure. Let’s take a look.
Total POA’s = 32
- Arms – There are 7 joints per arm.
- Shoulders: Ball Joint as well as a Pin/Hinge Joint which both function very well. The shoulders can rise slightly higher than the actual shoulder which is great.
- Bicep: Peg Joint which is nicely molded to follow the natural bicep look.
- Elbow: Double Pin/Hinge Joints in the elbow provide a really good bend beyond 90 degrees. This is really nice considering a lot of figures with this kind of bulk do not have this amount of bend.
- Wrist: Peg Joint as well as a Pin/Hinge joint. Both operate very well and were nice and tight.
- Legs – There are 8 joints in each leg/hip/ankle area.
- Hips: T-Jointed Ball Joint provides a good forward kick motion, and decent backwards motion.
- Thigh: Peg Joint provides a good range of motion. The cut of this joint does pose some continuity issues, but nothing too huge, considering the paint job doesn’t have issues due to the break.
- Knees: Double Pin/Hinge joints in the knees allows for more than 90 degrees of bend.
- Shin: Peg Joint which is essentially not needed on this figure.
- Ankles: Each ankle has 2 joints. Pin/Hinge Joints that allow good forward and backward motion and the ankle rocker is good.
- Body – There are 2 torso joints
- Torso: Pin/Hinge joint provides a really good forward and backward arch.
- Waist: Peg Joint provides the standard swivel which is not hindered by anything.
- Head: Ball Joint as well as a Pin/Hinge joint provides really good down motion but the up motion is almost entirely hindered by the hair sculpt. I wish they had used a softer plastic for the hair. There is pretty much no tilt of the head.
Mold – ★★★★☆
I’ve seen others who really don’t like this body mold, I’m digging it. I think this figure represents my image of the Sentry very well with the sculpt so I’m very happy. There’s a lot of detailed muscle sculpt throughout the figure which is quite comic accurate. I even like the look of the head sculpt, though I don’t like that the hair prevent s the head from looking up. This is a big issue considering Sentry flies. He’s gotta be able to look up when he flies. This is why he lost a star. Could have lost two even for this.
My favorite part of this figure is the belt. This was a really well done piece of the figure. The giant S is superb. I even like that it is a floating piece so it doesn’t get in the way of the waist articulation.
My final two thoughts on the sculpt of this figure are negative in tone, but not big enough issues to drop a star. The first is the size of the hands is a little out of scale to the rest of the figure. His hands are huge and look a little out of place. The second is the cape. I like the cape, they did a good job sculpting it, but I wish it was a softer plastic. The rigid plastic is just difficult to work with.
Paint – ★★★★☆
Sentry is yellow and blue. Yellow is a tough color to paint with I’ve heard. Hasbro did a really good job casting as much of the figure in yellow plastic to deal with this issue. Where they had to paint they did a good enough job. There could certainly be a little more shading, but it’s not a huge detractor for me on this figure to have little to no shading.
My favorite paint app on this figure is the head and hair. They did a really good job with the shading in his hair to make it look like it has some texture to it. I especially like the white eyes. Just the way I see him in the comics. Well done.
Accessories – ★★★★☆
Sentry comes with a cape that pegs into his back. That’s it. I’m ok with that. I don’t really expect more. Yes, and alternate head would be cool, but not a huge issue that we don’t get it.
Packaging – ★★★★☆
Standard Marvel Legends Infinite Series packaging which is great.
Overall Rating – ★★★★☆
I strongly feel this figure is a must have. Sentry is considered the most powerful superhero on earth, possibly the universe. He has the power of like a million suns. That’s a pretty cool character and this is the best figure made to date that I know of. Yes, get this figure. You won’t be disappointed.
Do you have any of these figures? If so, do you have a review to share? Please share in the comments or link to your review.