Today’s review is the Marvel Legends Infinite Series Spider-Man Rhino wave Scarlet Spider. This was the final figure I needed to complete the Rhino BAF. I found him at Toys R Us and they price matched him for me.
Figures in the Series
- Rhino (Build-A-Figure)
- Scarlet Spider (Head)
- Marvel’s Chameleon (Left Arm)
- Superior Venom (Right Arm)
- Misty Knight (Torso)
- White Tiger (Torso)
- Ghost Rider (Left Leg)
- Kraven (Right Leg)
- Character: Scarlet Spider
- Manufacturer: Hasbro
- Series: Spider-Man Rhino Series
- Dimensions: 6.25“
- Recommended: Ages 4+
- MSRP: $19.95 Paid: $15.99
- Part Number/SKU: 630509318292
- Buy it on Amazon
Articulation – ★★★★☆
Articulation on this figure is really quite good. I don’t feel it’s the best ever, but it is one of the better figures from Hasbro.
Total POA’s = 30
- Arms – There are 7 joints per arm.
- Shoulders: Ball Joint as well as a Pin/Hinge Joint. The shoulders raise just barely above the shoulder.
- Bicep: Peg Joint which works well and is well hidden.
- Elbow: Double Pin/Hinge joints provide great bend. You can bend almost entirely in half.
- Wrist: Peg Joint as well as a Pin/Hinge joint. No hindrance anywhere.
- Legs – There are 6 joints in each leg/hip/ankle area.
- Hips: T-Jointed Ball Joints with awesome forward kick and just ok backward kick. The forward kick is just awesome. Outward motion is decent, though a little more would have been appreciated.
- Thigh: Peg Joint with a standard cut joint. This cut joint functions very well, though the shape of the leg will cause a bit of an odd flat surface as you turn it.
- Knees: Double Pin/Hinge joints in the knees allows for awesome bend. His knees will bend entirely in half which is perfect for the poses Scarlet Spider needs.
- Ankles: Each ankle has 2 joints. Pin/Hinge Joints. I wish the front motion of the ankle was better. Backward motion is perfect, but forward is just ok. The ankle rocker is good.
- Body – There are 2 joints in the body area.
- Torso: Pin/Hinge joint provides decent forward ab crunch and backward motion is really good.
- Waist: Peg Joint that provides good rotation and is hidden really well by his belt. It can be a bit difficult to move this joint due to the sculpt of the belt, but it doesn’t stop the articulation
- Head: A single Ball Joint and a Pin/Hinge disc that provides great up and down, side to side. Tilt capabilities are a little light, but not so bad.
Mold – ★★★★☆
I believe there’s a lot of reused pieces of the sculpt of this figure and that’s a good thing. This is a really solid sculpt. Let’s go over the super positives that I really like first. The torso sculpt of the hoodie is a great, unique sculpt that really puts this character apart from so many of the other figures. Add this to the belt, which is amazingly sculpted to both hide the waist joint, and give the figure texture. Now add in the ankle pouches with the buckles and the wrist cuffs as well.
The only part of the sculpt I don’t really care for is the feet. They just look weird, they’re a little flat which just looks funny.
Paint – ★★★★★
The paint apps on the Scarlet Spider are really clean. As I sifted through a small pile of these figures at the store, I found myself analyzing the paint apps of the Rhino heads more so than the actual figure. Overall, it seemed they were all well done. Now, there could be a little bit of shading on the red parts, but that’s ok. The other parts of the figure are so well painted for a Hasbro figure. The spider on the chest is really clean as are the lines on the cuff links. The highlight, however, is the belt and ankle pouches. They actually painted the metal parts to look metal. So often we get a well sculpted set of pouches and belts etc. but they refuse to paint anything so you don’t see those details. Here, they did it right.
I may be very generous here, but for such a simple figure, they really got the paint apps right.
Accessories – ★★★★☆
A backpack, had we gotten a backpack, even without the extra hands we did get and this figure would have been five stars. Without it, the extra hands puts it right where I expect a figure to be from Hasbro. I like the hands and they’ll come in handy (see what I did there?). The hands just wasn’t enough to put him over the top.
Packaging – ★★★★☆
Standard Marvel Legends Infinite Series packaging which is great.
Overall Rating – ★★★★☆
Scarlet Spider is a strong figure from Hasbro. Certainly not a grand slam, but perhaps a single run homer. It’s a great figure and you should add it to your collection. Articulation was expected and we got the essentials. Where it excelled was in the paint, and I’m sure lots would disagree with me on this, but it was the little details that won me over. Go get this figure, but don’t pay full price, you should be able to find him pretty easily at your store, and at a discount.
Do you have any of these figures? If so, do you have a review to share? Please share in the comments or link to your review.