Today’s review is the Marvel Legends Infinite Series Hobgoblin Pizza Spider-Man figure. I had this figure several months ago, but returned him to get a different one that I thought was going to be much harder to get. Fast forward a few months and now this guy has been quite hard to find. Well, I found him and this time I hung onto him. Also spent $5 less this time on him.
Figures in the Series
Check out My Video Review
Articulation – ★★★★★
This figure has everything you could want in a Marvel Legend figure. Some claim this figure to be the best Spider Man figure. Others still claim the McFarlane Spidey as the best. I don’t have the McFarlane one, though I think that one looks terrible. The articulation on this one is very good. Let’s take a closer look.
Total POA’s = 32
- Arms – There are 8 joints per arm.
- Shoulders: Ball Joint as well as a Pin/Hinge Joint as well as a Butterfly joint in the shoulder. All of these joints are very well done. They provide great range of motion throughout the shoulder joints.
- Bicep: Peg Joint that is quite standard and works very well.
- Elbow: Double Pin/Hinge joints provide a full bend of the elbow perfectly.
- Wrist: Peg Joint as well as a Pin/Hinge joint in the wrists provide a very good amount of rotation as well as curl.
- Legs – There are 6 joints in each leg/hip/ankle area.
- Hips: T-Jointed Ball Joint provides a really good forward kick motion. Backward motion is not quite as good as I’d like, but still considerably better than most figures. I would have also expected him to be able to do the splits a little more than he can, but this isn’t the worst thing.
- Thigh: Peg Joint is a standard cut joint which loses some continuity of the sculpt of the thigh, though this isn’t super noticeable due to the uniform paint.
- Knees: Double Pin/Hinge joints in the knees provides a full bend of the knees which is perfectly suited for this figure.
- Ankles: Each ankle has a Pin/Hinge Joint as well as an Ankle Rocker Joint. Both backward and forward ankle motion is quite good and the ankle rocker works very well.
- Body – There are 2 joints in the body
- Torso: Pin/Hinge Joint in the torso area provides a good ab crunch as well as a very good back arch.
- Waist: Peg Joint provides full 360 degree rotation of the waist.
- Head: A single Ball Joint as well as a Pin/Hinge Joint allows for good up and down motion. Side-to-side motion is fully functional and tilt is there, but had they used a slightly smaller ball in the head and they could have had a better range of motion.
Mold – ★★★★☆
Hasbro really hit this one out of the park, though I’m still giving it only 4 stars. I do want to point out two thing I don’t like. I really feel the torso of this figure is a little long. For some reason, it looks wrong to me. It doesn’t look natural. Then with that issue I have, it appears when you use the ab crunch that the joint just looks worse. The other issue I have is the size of the ball joint in the head/neck. This ball is far too large, which makes the motion of the head a little limited. It’s also very difficult to put the heads on because it’s too tight.
Ok, I went over the negatives, what I like about this figure is quite extensive. My favorite is really just the overall aesthetics of the pieces coming together (minus the overly long torso). It just looks like Spidey. Obviously in terms of the sculpt, this is the most important and why I don’t like the look of the McFarlane Spidey as much.
There are enough details in the muscle tones in the figure that provides a good textured look on the figure. The costume is all smooth, which I would expect. Everything is smooth except the eyes, which are sculpted which is subtle, but still noticeable enough that it really makes a difference in the overall look.
Paint – ★★★★☆
Paint apps on this figure are good, but not the best by any means. First, there is no shading anywhere on this figure. Mostly, this is ok. The paint is glossy, which I’m still on the fence on. I’m not sure I like just how glossy it is.
The web lines on the figure are a little inconsistent. On the head they have nice lines with the web loops. Throughout the rest of the body where the webbing is, they didn’t really have the web loop style as prominently, or at all in some areas. The lines for the most part are clean, and look nice from a short distance. Up close, if you really like the web look, you’re not too amazed. Not the worst thing, but it would have been nice if they were more consistent.
As far as the rest of the paint apps, they are really solid where there is paint. Mostly, you’re going to find the paint apps on the heads. They did a nice clean job on these two heads, though a little shading in the unmasked head would have helped a lot.
Accessories – ★★★★★
The accessories we get with Pizza Spidey aren’t overwhelmingly awesome, but they are pretty cool and very useful, which isn’t always the case with accessories. We get two heads, a fully masked and partially unmasked head. Both are very well done and look really cool. I particularly like the unmasked one. It captures so many of the scenes we’ve seen of Spidey in the comics and movies.
In addition to the heads, we get a collection of 6 hands. The typical fists and web slinging hands are nice, but I really like the hands with the fingers splayed out. Those give a lot of pose options. They’re just very versatile.
Finally, we get a slice of gooey New York style pizza that Spidey can munch on. It’s a dumb accessory, but also really fun. I’ve seen a lot of folks having a ton of fun with this accessory in their photography, and I hope to as well.
Packaging – ★★★★☆
Standard Marvel Legends Infinite Series packaging which is great.
Overall Rating – ★★★★☆
Overall Pizza Spidey is a solid 4. If anybody actually read my reviews I might get some flack for not saying this thing is perfect, but nobody does, so I can say it without getting into trouble. I’m still not sure this is a must have figure. There seems to be a new Spider Man figure coming out every other wave and I really liked the Amazing Spider Man 2 figure that got me into collecting the Marvel Legends figures. But, if you don’t already have a Spider Man figure, this is a solid choice. There’s just so many other characters I’d rather have I guess. Oh well. It’s still good.
Do you have any of these figures? If so, do you have a review to share? Please share in the comments or link to your review.