I’m in the process of testing the new SharePoint Online Hybrid Search capabilities that have been released with the August 2015 Cumulative Update (KB3055009). I ran into an issue that I was able to resolve pretty quickly, but I wanted to share the solution I found.
Hybrid Search Information (This is in preview, do not deploy to production environments)
- Getting Comfortable with the new hybrid Cloud Search Service in SharePoint 2013
- Cloud Hybrid Search Service Application
- Download Hybrid Search Onboarding Scripts
- TechNet Support Forum
After running the Onboarding Script after all the errors had been dealt with, I attempted to create a new Result Source in my newly created Hybrid Search Service Application.
Here’s what I am doing
I am creating a result source to show only Remote (cloud) search results
- In Central Administrator of my on-premise farm I navigate to the newly created Hybrid Search Service Application
- Click Result Sources link in the left navigation
- Click New Result Source
- I enter the following settings
- Click the Launch Query Builder button (see above)
- If it doesn’t appear automatically, click the Test Query button and you’ll see the following error below
Essentially, SharePoint is telling us that it doesn’t have all the Search features enabled in Central Administration. I have no idea why, since search and the query builder were working prior. The resolution for me was to run the below command.
- Open the SharePoint Management Console as Administrator
- Enter the following command
- Enable-SPFeature SearchWebParts -URL http://centraladministration:PortNumber
- Now try the Query Builder again and it should work
If you have questions or this doesn’t solve the issue for you please post a comment.